Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Year of Blessings



2015 was a year of challenging myself in so many dimensions – physical, mental, emotional, romance, work, and personal. Coming out of the valleys of 2014, it was a year of discovery and reflections, pushing boundaries and taking on new wild adventures. I simply threw myself out there and soaked up what worked and what did not. Several assumptions that I held dearly were randomly tested. These ranged from self-limiting beliefs, eg. I am not as good, or I cannot do this, to attitudes around being independent, being in a relationship, being alone, and the roller-coaster suite of emotions that accompanied living by myself an ocean away from home.

2015 was also the year I crossed the Big-4. My birthday present to self was to sign up for an expedition in 2016, so daunting that it took me several weeks of hesitation before taking the plunge. Every major journey taken alone starts with a heady mix of over-confidence-dare-devil-yeah, and apprehension-fear-self-doubts-what-ifs. The constant flip-flopping between the two ends of the emotional spectrum could be very tiring and vexing. Over time, I learnt to take a logical approach to separate the baseless emotional anxieties spun out of over-imaginative minds, from the real obstacles and potential trip-ups, and then analysing whether they could be mitigated or are too out-of-reach.

Running-wise, it was an unbelievable year of experiences and new boundaries. Averaging a race each month, I learnt so much more about myself, my limits and my running.

Work-wise, I was extremely fortunate to have very supportive employers and colleagues; to have the range of professional experiences and friendships that were extended to me. The icing on the cake was my studies in NYC, which opened up a new frontier of learning opportunities, both on the work and personal fronts.

Relationship-wise, everyday presented a chance to learn and make choices; decisions that impacted my emotional state and well-being. I was discovering new facets, new ways of behaving and communicating, having deliberate reflections, and gaining deeper insights into myself.

All these experiences would not have been possible without the kindness and generosity of family and friends around me. I am cognisant of and grateful for all the love, support and belief that has been showered on me. May 2016 bring on meaningful encounters, new discoveries, and richer relationships for everyone. Happy New Year!

No comments: