Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Domestic Therapy

My mum's away for a couple of days. She goes on these free cruise trips a few times a year, courtesy of my cousin's gaming prowess. When mum's away, that means DIY-everything. Read: recycle more of everything. So I have tried out domestic therapy for a few days. Some people claim that household chores can be uplifting and almost detoxifying for the spirit. I reckoned only my arms were uplifted from the packing and my hands throughly detoxed (aka disinfected) from the cleaning.

The first afternoon, I merrily cleaned out my wardrobe. I should hold an auction, I might rake some profits from all the recycleable stuff. One small shelf led to another, and I turned the entire cupboard inside out. It was gratifying to free up an extra 50% space in the bulging cupboards, whose metal rods and doors threaten to spill their contents everyday. Being organized means sorting the clothes into 4 neat piles - the outing, the sports, the sleep-in, and the post-sports - never mind if they sound similar. I've a premonition the 4 neat piles would soon morph into 1 big mess, but then one can't keep worrying about the future can we? :) Laundry was up next. I'm thankful that I'm small-sized, so there's less cloth to wash. I'm such an inefficient washer, if my mum was away longer, Singapore would need lots more Newater. But hey, I'm quite good at scrubbing clothes fast. I managed to do my laundry today, before coming to work. Well, I was sort of late for work. But hey, someone has to do the laundry right?
And here comes my all-time favorite activity. Food. Maggi mee. Via microwave. I flooded the machine. It was a bowl, plus noodles, plus hot water. With a glass lid cover. It flooded the microwave tray. I then set the lid slightly ajar to let some steam out. It flooded more. Excellent. The 3-min fast to cook, fast to eat meal, became a 15min clean up session.

And there ends my attempts at domestic therapy. Clean sheets and clothes beckon. My mum is back today.

No comments: