Sunday, December 5, 2010

Singapore Marathon 2010

I got a bib just 2 weeks before the race. Alber and I did not sign up nor plan to run this year, but many people were giving up their slots at the last minute. So we accepted the opportunity and took part in the race. Neither of us had trained for this at all. The last long run we did was TNF 50km on trail. Then it was 21km max at Powerman. So this marathon would be our first training run, well, for the marathon itself. *grin*

The marathon had a new format this year. The three categories - 10km, 21km, and 42km - had different start points and times. The 42km full marathon was flagged off at Orchard Road, amidst the xmas lightups at the malls. Rather beautiful. I was reminded of the HongKong marathon that begins along Nathan Road each year. The atmosphere was fun too, I was enjoying myself.

I had no expectations for the run, just to soak in the crowd, a training on a Sunday morning, and burn some calories. Hmmm, in that case, should I seek to run longer and burn more?

My first 10km was right on a 6min pace. 59min. --> 4h.
But with every 10km, my race completion time was extended by another 15min.
21km - 2:06h, still ok, and sharply deteoriated thereafter.
30km - 3:13h.
37km - stuck at the human congestion on the Republic Ave ECP where all the categories merged, and majority of the 10km participants were strolling, blocking the way.
Final - 4:47h

But then again, this was first full marathon in almost 2 years. I have not done a proper 42km race since HK in Feb 2009. Wow! The race support this year was great, water and muscle rub were in plentiful supply. I stopped many times to drink (for once I did not hold my bottle) and smear myself with Tiger rub. I felt like an xmas turkey being smeared and marinated all over!

When a person expands his/ her horizons, and when life does not simply revolve around 1 race, it is much easier not to get overly attached to the event. Race done. Moving on to my climb. :)

No comments: