Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sundown Ultra-marathon 2011. My First DNF. OMG!

There's a first to everything. Including DNFs in a race. And it had to happen during a running event. Ok I'm losing it.

I was taking part in the SD100km over the weekend. It was no form right from the start. We used a 30min-3min strategy (run-walk) that helped preserve my legs. I was also using the Compressport calf compression which were very good! But I am not a night runner, never was able to overcome the sleep monster. Punctuated with multiple toilet stops, it was very slow going.

As the aid stations were 10km apart, I ran with my hydration pack with about 1.5L water. Probably overkill since I don't drink that much anyway. But the food at the aid stations was very well-stocked. I must say that this is one of my best race experiences in Singapore. The stations reminded me of Ironman quality. And the volunteers were excellent. Well-done to the organisers!

I completed the first 50km in 7:30h. Legs were still ok, nothing dying. I took my time, drank soup, ate a hotdog (not the cheap chicken frank types, but a nice fat sausage!), refilled my pack and so forth. Spent about 20min chilling out. Re-started my run at 8h. That left me 10h to complete the other 50km, ample time. Or so I thought.

50 - 60km, still ok. Kept to the average 90min/10km pace.

Then trouble. Body started shutting down after the 60km pit-stop. Like really dozing off. I walked. Zig-zag. No fun to be running alone. :( Could not even walk in a straight line. I sat at a bus-stop for a while and was very tempted to lie on the bench. Then I thought maybe I should stop after I crossed the timing line at 70km. So I plodded and got to the next pit-stop. Took me 2:30h to walk that last 10km.

And made the decision to take the shuttle bus back to the start point.

And therein, my very first DNF.

Oh bummer.

No comments: