Sunday, July 1, 2012

The Ipoh (not) Weekend

Sigh... the guys are away in Ipoh for a half-marathon-cum-weekend-trip, and I'm stuck at home supposedly preparing for my Capstone exam on Thursday. It's a 9h paper (!) and the school has catered two tea breaks and a bento lunch for each of us. Such love... And to prepare for that, each of us has an one-inch binder of a case study on a Thai industrial estate that faced an environmental disaster. Something like that. Obviously the readings were so dry that I have not gone past 20% of it.

Meanwhile, to make up for my 2nd 'lost trip' because of exams (argh!), I just had to clock my long, long runs. I seldom have the chance to get a 30km in over the weekend, simply because it takes up an incredible amount of time.

So on Saturday, despite waking up terribly late, I headed off at 11am (ahem... sheepish) and aimed to do a 2-loop in MR and back. The weather turned out nice and cool actually. It was slightly hot on my way to MR, and then it turned cloudy. On my first loop, I heard thunder but missed the rain. Bumped into WH at the visitor lobby, he had finished his run. The skies had cleared, so I thought it was ok to go for my second loop. Halfway through, and the rain started again. I was between wet from sweat and wet from rain. The run was vastly different from my previous attempt - the difference in having breakfast or not. I was equipped this time with some chocolatey snacks, but did not have to activate them. I actually managed to run throughout. On the contrary, the snacks attracted a snarly monkey which tried to snatch them from me. Run done, ~ 33km.  Happy. Back home, back to readings.

Did another long run this morning, managed to wake up earlier and get home by noon. It drizzled, which cooled the weather for a bit. and then the sun came out strong again. I was more drenched today than yesterday - a toxic mix of sweat and raindrops. ~ 23km. Ok, back to the boringly dry readings...





No comments: