Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sundown Ultra Pacing

My long Vesak Day weekend was spent feverish, fluish and sniffing away. Friday was a goner. Saturday morning was a sizzling hot yet shivering and sneezing affair. Good golly, how to run 42km with Alber like that? I popped a few panadols and hoped for a miracle.

Four panadols later, I was at the race site with the guys. ZL and I joined them about 1km from the start line. Alber was doing a 30min-run-3min-walk strategy for the 1st loop. Initially we were going strong and the stop felt unnecessary. But after a while, we looked forward to the breaks. Me with a flu-y nose and unaccustomed legs. The first 20-odd km went well. But after hitting the 30km mark, my stop strategy went awry. Alber went ahead and dropped me along NSRCC/ Coastal Road. I struggled the last 5-7km back to the car park. 5h for 40km.

The plan was to get on my bike and provide mobile support. I wanted to get out of the race venue before the marathoners were flagged off at midnight. I spotted Alber on my way out and cycled alongside until ECP, where I took a quick shower. Then I went up to our Safra support booth and hung around for a while. By then the marathoners had caught up with the ultra runners.

I spotted KM & SL near the u-turn point, but lost Alber after that. So I spent a long time waiting and trying to find him, cycling up and down, and finally locating him walking with Jimmy. Both of them probably walked the last 10km, albeit at a very fast pace. I managed to ride with them and snap some pictures at the finishing line.

What a day... and now my feverish head has turned into a leaky runny nose. Argh....

No comments: