Sunday, March 4, 2012

Low, Flat & Out of Sugar

Had a very good Javanese massage last night, which knocked me out totally until 10am this morning. Had almost 12h of blissful sleep. Must be the accumulated sleep deficit over the past weeks!

But anyhow, woke up somewhat panicky because I had tonnes of things to do today and still had to squeeze in a run. Fine. Got organised, drank some yoghurt and chomped a mini-Snickers, and headed out. It was hot this morning, the sun was blazing. It got cooler into the trail though. I ran my usual weekend long run route to MR and looped once. I contemplated running a second loop, but was starting to feel flat.

Ok, ridiculous me. For all my running experience and endurance sports and yada-yada, how could I screw up a run because of lack of food?! I normally only carried water and could go about 4h without feeling hungry or low sugar. But (and a huge qualifying 'but') I also normally would (a) have some breakfast before run, or (b) start early so that the body was not overly-deprived. Flouted both rules today. (a) no breakfast, and (b) started too late, plus had dinner too early last night, resulting in more than 12h of no food in the system. Brilliant recipe for failure.

Continuing on my flat plodding... I walked a couple of upslopes, ran the downslopes, strolled a little on Rifle Range Road, and admonishing myself along the way. Finally, finally got through all the obstacles without collapsing or anything dramatic. Took 20min longer than usual. Bumped into friends near home and must have looked like a disaster - totally drenched from sweat and dehydrated-looking from the sun, and just shuffling my feet along. Reached home and immediately downed some yoghurt drink, an apple and a piece of choc. Ahhh sugar replenished. Silly me...

No comments: