Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happily Sedated Long Runs

Yes! Two long runs this weekend. I'm happily sedated now. :)

Yesterday was a bit of a challenge. Against all wisdom, I headed out without breakfast nor power gels nor money. That would not have been a problem until I decided to run another loop in MR. Since I typically run from home to MR, the decision point is always after the ranger station - whether I then veer right to get home, or I go straight for another loop. So I foolishly went straight as I was still feeling ok at that point and wanted to clock some more mileage. 30min into the extension and I could feel my stomach rumbling. I reached the visitor lobby and filled up with more water. The section through the Northern Trail to the ranger station again was a disaster. Any hint of an upslope and I would walk. Jogging on the flats and downslopes was manageable for a while. Then I would walk.

After re-filling at the ranger station, I headed towards BT. Another disastrous mix of walk and trot, not withstanding the sun beating down on me. When I got to the Rifle Range Road, I was so tempted to hitch-ride passing vans to get down the road.... which of course I did not. So I decided that a brisk walk would be faster and less energy-intense than my futile attempts to jog-walk. And I sort of walked the entire stretch until I got home. Low sugar and hungry, I could have eaten anything at that point!

Distance covered: 34km.... of which I probably walked like 10km. CMI....

This morning I did the same route, minus the extra round. My legs were tired, yes, but not as sore as I thought. I could actually complete it in a faster time than some of my previous runs. Not bad. Must be the slice of bread I took before the run. Distance ~ 22-23km.

I'm at peace now.... :)

No comments: