Friday, May 25, 2012

Stairs Oh Stairs

Today was "Eat with Family Day" and everyone could be let off at 5pm. Unfortunately, my family, one was out at an office function. And my mum whom I was supposed to have dinner with 'flew my aeroplane' and abandoned me for an outing with friends. Brilliant.

Thankfully my friends decided on an impromptu stair-climb training that evening. I did not have any gear with me and had to borrow practically everything from Winnie (thanks!). It was my first time joining them in this drill, and also my first time at the 40-storey TPY flats - I usually train at the 30-storey flats in Tiong Bahru.

Drill - 6 sets of up and down

1-up: 7:11min
1-down: 5:56min
2-up: 7:13min
2-down: 6:52min
3-up: 8:05min
3-down: 7:06min
4-up: 8:54min
4-down: lift!
5-up: 8:50min
6-up: 8:42min

I alternated between taking double-steps for one set, and single-steps for the next set. The former was less tiring (surprisingly), perhaps because it engages the bigger muscle groups in the quads. The latter was a strain on my calves, with the higher leg turnover and cadence.

It was such a long time since I last did any stair-climbs. My legs were burning and jelli-fied by the end of the session.

No comments: