Monday, January 21, 2013

HK Vibram 100k 2013 (19 - 20 Jan 2013)


My second attempt at the HK Vibram 100 race, with a target to complete within 24h and get the finisher trophy. Last year I exceeded by 50min, and I decided that this year I would spend less time at the checkpoints gorging myself with the food.



I had pretty much the same base gear as last year. I wore my blue Nike combat long-sleeved top, and CWX insulating compression tights. We started at 8am this year (compared to an earlier time last year), and the weather was actually ok, not too cold. In fact, I thought the entire race was overall warmer than last year. I brought my Marmot jacket - first time using it - worked very well. I also packed an extra Nike insulating long-sleeved and my shell pants into the transition bag, which I would pick up at 50km.

This year, I whipped out my trekking poles at CP1. No point burning up my own energy to climb and tackle those slopes and steps. I realised that I was pretty strong in going up, but slow coming down. So I kept overtaking people on the up, and then they all flew down the slopes and passed me again. And that cycle repeated throughout the race.


Alber graciously accompanied me all the way. We made good progress at the start, and I made extra sure that I would not fall asleep and bomb the distance between CP5 - 6. That was the longest stretch and was also the section that almost did me in last year. I survived that section.

Alas, sleep still caught up with me. I was quite a zombie between CP 6 - 8. I kept dozing off, on the steps, on the way down, on the way up, on the flat road, everywhere! It was quite a chore and Alber had to wait for me. At some points, because he was going at my pace, he got tired and refused to move. But he of course caught up with me very quickly. We got to the infamous Needle Hill at CP8. You know that is the one because after an endless climb, you get rewarded by a sight of a steady stream of lights going 45-deg upwards ahead of you. The climb was not too bad though, maybe because I was psychologically prepared from last year's experience. After that, it was a steep descent to CP9.

When we got to CP9, we had about 3h buffer to get that finisher trophy. Alber thought there was not enough time, but I was not convinced. Nonetheless, I decided to go on 'turbo' and charge through the last 9km. Alber told me to go ahead. I must have switched my headlamp wrongly because the light seemed so dim. It was still dark and foggy and I could not exactly make out the way amongst the rocky path. It was uphill all the way to an observatory centre sort of building. It was the last hill climb. I was so happy to hit the winding tarmac road because that meant I was about 5km away from the end point. I sprinted (as best) down, using my trekking poles for momentum to swing round the bends. Was quite happy to overtake a couple of (surprised) runners, and also somewhat emotional as the end neared. The race was finishing! I crossed the line at around 23h and earned my trophy. :)  Alber came in about 8min after me, to my pleasant surprise.


F153
Overall: 620
Category: 73
Gun time: 23:01:57h
Chip time: 22:59:58h

Support pt: 1:43:11h
CP2: 4:32:25h
CP3: 6:05:21h

CP5: 9:30:08h
CP6: 13:40:38h
CP7: 16:13:03h
CP8: 18:42:02h
CP9: 20:53:25:


No comments: