Saturday, June 21, 2008

Abs & Stretch

I thought I was headed for a Pump class, but the schedule was changed today. Luckily there was an "Abs and Stretch" session listed later in the afternoon, that I could try since I was already at the gym. Did some workouts on the gym machines while waiting for the class. It was so hard to kill an hour on machines. The rowing machine looked good enough, but lasted a mere 12min. I went from the various leg press, leg curls, leg extensions, abductors, to some lats and triceps. Pretty good, I managed to fill up 45min.

Abs and Stretch was a freestyle class. In any case, it was almost entirely new to me since I did not normally do Pilates or Yoga. We started with some stretching moves, pretty easy to follow. Then the abs. Ok, the normal crunches and stuff were easy enough. Then the trainer decided to progress into a couple of pilates stunts that were next to impossible for me to execute. There were some hardcore regulars in class who obviously did plenty of pilates, body balance types. So there I was in a class, where the fair-frail-fragile damsels, as well as the plumpish aunties could execute all those moves perfectly. Whereas me, the supposedly lean-mean-looking athlete could not even balance on my butt! On hindsight (no pun intended), it sounded funny. But the actual scenario was far from hilarious. So we had to lift our legs and hold various poses, or rotate or extend them in all imaginable angles. Flexibility was always my nemesis since schooldays. It was still not a friend now.

No comments: