Thursday, April 2, 2009

Overnight Train to Rovaniemi

I took an overnight train to Rovaniemi. It was an express 12hr direct train from Helsinki and I had a sleeper berth in the upper deck. That meant my cabin was upstairs, away from the train wheels and quieter. I shared the cabin with a Finn lady doing bio-tech research at the University of Helsinki. We had a bunk bed that came with a duvet, pillow, and even shower towels. Our cabin had an ensuite shower and toilet which was an invention in itself. You could unlock the wash basin and cabinet shelf and swing it vertically over the toilet seat to reveal the shower head behind with little metal ledges for toiletries. Extremely thoughtful. Every little thing that made your trip more comfortable was prepared for, including a little alarm, power plug, radio and reading light beside every bed. There was also a tiny miniscule chair and table by the window where one could sit and watch the world go by. Very delightful!

I showered and headed to the restaurant cabin. It was a cosy place with amber lights and old fashioned wooden tables. There were many passengers having dinners and drinks. I found a small table, munched my sandwich and read a book as the train trudged past towns and vast empty spaces.

Two hours later, I headed back to my cabin. Sleeping in the berth was a great experience. The gentle rocking of the train as it sped along the tracks soon lulled me to dreamland.

No comments: