Saturday, April 4, 2009

Snow Mobile at Night

I got ready for the snow mobile outing. I put on my down jacket in anticipation of the cold. We were dressed as space man (again), with ninja mask and helmet. Then the guide gave instructions on how to ride the machine. I shared a snow mobile with a girl and we were to take turns riding it. We rode into the vast emptiness as the sun was shining its last glimmers. We stopped somewhere in the middle of nowhere and took in the surroundings. I was hoping to see some aurora borealis, but unfortunately the sky was too cloudy.

There was a section of the ride that through snow dunes, which looked really beautiful in the moonlight. We continued the ride to a traditional wooden hut, where we made a fire and roasted sausages and sandwiches and had hot tea. I pulled a reindeer rug onto a wooden chair and made myself comfortable. Oooh…. The reindeer skin was so snug and warm. Soon it was time to go. Surprisingly, it was brighter outside with the moonlight, than it was inside the hut with candlelights. We rode the short distance back to Saariselka. It was time to end the adventure.

No comments: