Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Stairs Upped

Pack weight increased to 23kg tonight (from 21kg). I must be nuts. I could barely stand up if I put on the pack sitting on my car boot. There is a certain height of the 'pack launch pad' where one put on a pack, that ranged from 'Impossible to get up' to 'Already standing'. My boot was somewhere in the middle of the scale. Any lower and I would be see-sawing on my butt trying to stand, but counter-balanced by the pack. I think this would be my max weight, or I would really roll backwards!

And then there was the haze. The air was so bad, I could hardly see beyond the next road from the top floor of the flat. Being stuck in a stairwell with foul air and a heavy pack had me drenched in no time. Not from any effort, yet.

My first set was a bit of a shock, I had to get used to the weight. Then it got better. Nobody was at the stairs tonight, until Thiam Huat came along after my 5th set. I was glad for some company. We did different directions/ stairwell, but met at the top floor and took the lift down. Any familiar face or company was much welcomed.

I managed to survive 10 sets at a relatively consistent timing:
9:53min, 9:35, 9:57, 9:50, 10:08 - toilet break
9:34 (must be because the hydration bag got lighter), 9:38, 9:28, 10:13, 10:02

Whew... Not sure I could up the pace or sets next time. Or perhaps I should use those ankle weights that are currently in my pack.

No comments: