Monday, February 21, 2011

Hongkong Marathon 2011

Ahh, the HK marathon. The year of the Rabbit medal. I was happy to be back in HK for the race. I had taken part every year except for 2010 when I went to Langkawi IM over the same weekend. It was a challenging hilly route, lots of ups and downs over the highways and into the tunnels. It was likewise this year, no letting up on those slopes.

The weather was a lot cooler this year, 13 - 15 degC. It definitely made running much more enjoyable. We gathered at the start line outside Mira Hotel and were flagged off at 6:45am. There was a slight drizzle and it was chilly when the wind blew. I was dressed in a long-sleeved top, 2XU long tights and a thin running jacket. I started off feeling snug and comfortable, and whipped out my jacket hood when it started raining. However, I soon began to warm up. By 6km, I had to stop and remove my jacket. I tied it around my waist and continued. I felt like I went out too fast in the first few kms, and my rhythm was off. So I slowed a little and tried to find my pacing.

I picked up pace after 10km and was on a roll. I took half a banana and the isotonic sports drinks at various counters. I saw the Sharks running ahead of me. This year, we had three Sharks, two of which were female runners. Power! Alas, I had to go to the portaloo at about 32km. That cost me 3 precious minutes. I plodded on, trying to recover the lost time. Another alas! We merged with the 21km runners for the last 15km or so. They meant I had to weave in and out of the human congestion, and I was certainly not pleased. I had managed to keep to a 5:45min/km pace and the crowd slowed me down.

My legs felt relatively strong and fresh, up to about 36km. The last stretch always gave me problems in my previous races - I typically get cramps on the last few slopes, triggered by steady downslope pounding. Argh, careful now. I slowed down to a more than 6min/km pace as I negotiated the last bends and slopes. The last 2km was a flat out through the city streets, shops and supporters. I picked up pace and went as fast as I could towards the finishing line - not that it would make any dent in my timing.

4:13h. Five minutes off my previous HK PB. It was a good run. :)

First 10km - 1:00h
2nd 10km - 56min
3rd 10km - 1:00h
4th 10km - 1:02h
Last 12km - 13min
Total - 4:13h

No comments: