Sunday, February 13, 2011

Last Long Ride

Absolutely last long ride, after which the bikes get serviced, cleaned and packed for IMNZ. We cycled from my house to meet with the rest of at Casuarina. Akira joined us too, another super fast rider. Lai Chee came too, hers was sheer power. I was promptly dropped at the word go. I pretty much cycled alone, within sight of Lee and Alber. Once we hit Coastal Road, I did not even see any of them. Argh. So I skipped the B1 pit-stop and continued towards West Coast. Even with the headstart, at the speed I was going, I would reach Mac at about the same time as the rest.

I was trying to figure out how to crank up the speed and put the carbon wheels to good use. It was tough spinning it up to 32kmh, before the wheels took on a life of their own. I experimented along the way, small gear, big gear. I could only up the speed on the heavy front gear, but that meant I would not last the distance in the same gear. Dilemma.

I ate a hotcakes meal, surprised that I was not as starving as last weekend. We headed to Tuas to be slapped by the Tuas-selton winds. Lovely. The headwind was relentless, my speed dropped to the 15-16kmh. Tiring.

Another pit-stop at SPC. 130km. By then, every single bump and vibration on the road was amplified 10x and my butt was tremendously sore. Some cyclists went off to West Coast and back. Alber and I decided to follow WH, H and Lee to NTU and return from Brickland Road. Distance: 155km.

No comments: