Thursday, April 28, 2011

The GRCs through the lens of a runner

The Singapore General Elections is such a hot topic on Facebook nowadays. There are so many posts and updates on the candidates, GRC (Group Representation Constituencies) contests, issues and such.

But to a runner, I just had a simple curiousity. What would the electoral boundaries look like as running routes?

So I googled for a list of the GRC and respective wards, and a GRC map that was superimposed onto a google map of Singapore. Then I went to Mapmyrun and retraced the boundaries. Some of the boundaries were slightly amended to make them 'runnable', but I tried to follow as closely to the real wards as possible.

Sample distances:

  • Tg Pagar GRC: 37km (This is easy to plot since it primarily traverses built-up areas.)
  • Holland-BT GRC: 50km (I love this route, it hits the major trails and nature reserves!)
  • West Coast GRC: 148km (This is the least accurate as it should technically include all the offshore islands and majority of our western coastal limits.)
  • Jurong GRC: 31km (This is where I live. Aiyo, so "short"? I'm only 1 traffic junction from H-BT and the trails.)

There are a total of 15 GRCs and 12 SMCs (Single Member Constituencies) for this election. I did not have time to map all of them, but perhaps someone else might complete the route mappings and share them.

Just for the fun of it. :)

No comments: