Saturday, April 24, 2010

Clumsy Ride

I got the guys to come cycling with me and try the route that I did the past Sundays with WY and group. We set off at 6am from Upp Thomson Road, and met George by chance. So we asked him to join us and lead the way. Off we went!

I was happy that I managed to climb the MF and SBV-NUS slopes. We hit Tuas, put on the big chain ring and maintained about 35kmh +/-. SL was doing very well and following George very closely. Alas, the clumsy me had a 0kmh fall when crossing the pedestrian lights at Arena Country Club - forgot to unclip! Duh. I landed on my right and scrapped my knee.

We continued our ride to NTU, and I felt tired barely pulling myself up the slope. And then I got dropped big time along Lim Chu Kang and Neo Tiew. My legs were tired, yes, but I had no idea why I was so far behind. I was already pedalling VERY hard and it was only 20-25kmh, notwithstanding some headwind. I discovered why in Kranji. There was a loud scrapping sound when I pedalled. The sound/ problem possibly became worse (hence louder) in the last stretch. I finally realized that my brake pad was brushing against my front wheel, creating the resistance and sound! Omg! I rode the last 15-20km with the resistance getting stronger and stronger! No wonder I was not moving much. Sheeesh!

We finished the ride, back to my car and had lunch at Longhouse. Then it was time to rush home and clean up the bicycles and head out to the airport.


Cycling Route:

6am @ Old Cycleworx (Upp Thomson next to Longhouse, the stretch of shophouses next to Shell)

1. Old Cycleworx -> Lornie Road -> Farrer Road -> Queensway -> Alexandra Road -> Morse Rd -> MF -> (there's a 7-11 at the foot of Morse Rd)
2. MF loop -> Pasir Panjang -> South Buona Vista Road -> NUS (left towards Central Library) -> Clementi Road (next to bus terminal) ->
3. Clementi Road -> West Coast Mac/ West Coast Highway -> Jln Buroh -> Jln Ahmad Ibrahim (Bird Park) ->
4. Jln Ahmad Ibrahim -> Tuas end -> Raffles Marina -> headwind loop -> Jln Ahmad Ibrahim (parallel AYE) -> Upp Jurong Road to Arena Country Club for a pitstop ->
5. City Harvest Church -> NTU loop -> Jln Bahar exit -> Lim Chu Kang Rd -> Neo Tiew -> Kranji (stop at coffeeshop) ->
6. Woodlands Rd -> Mandai Rd -> Mandai Columbarium -> Upp Thomson Road -> Old Cycleworx

Estimated 90+ - 100km

No comments: