Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Gutsy Wet Ride

I mustered enough guts finally to join "The Gang" for their early Sunday ride. That was after an entire year of hesitation, self-mutterings, and great reluctance. You see, they are known for their super early starts, coast-at-40kmh sessions (on the flats mind you, not downhills), long & punishing climbs and few pitstops. Enough reasons to keep me at bay for months. I, too, had ample ammunition of excuses why I should not be there.

So it was with immense courage & guts (and some mouthfuls of alcohol at a party the night before) that I said yes to turning up. That was only after GiaYee said that she would go too, and we agreed to keep each other company at the back. And after we appealed to Winnie's innate maternal instincts to look after us on the ride. I tried to persuade Val for some guts-company, and she wished me luck! I was not totally convinced that I was not on a suicide mission.

I went home to prep my bike. It was in hibernation since IM-LKW for an entire month. I had to replace my seat post screws, fixed on new lights, lub the chains and pump the tires, plus an assortment of logistics. I even had backup plans and packed in my running gear, lest I got dropped along the way and could head for a run at MR!

I woke up before my alarm went off. Touched forehead, no fever. Stretched my limbs, no soreness. Looked out of the windows, no rain. Checked pulse, still breathing. Uhh... darn, no more excuses. Ok here we go!

I gobbled a sandwich as I drove to Upp Thomson Road, but did not know exactly where the old Cycleworx was. I called a few people, and probably roused Doctor from his sleep to give me directions. Then I saw WY's car and followed. GY had not arrived, and I started to panic. Hopefully she was coming, or I could say goodbye after the first junction!

We started the ride around 6:15am. I had never done the Lornie-Farrer stretch before, and the rolling slopes, dark skies, and trying to keep up was stressful. The guys took turns to sweep (I was last), which was very helpful. It started to drizzle, and before long, became a downpour. My sunblock stung my eyes, and the rain wiped out the vision on my shades. Someone should invent wipers for eyewear!

We took a pitstop at a coffeeshop along Alexandra Rd (next to AIA) and ordered some drinks. Whew! I needed to calm my nerves. The rain lightened and we continued. It was cold initially, getting into the wind whilst still wet. We skipped the MF and South Buona Vista climbs because of the wet roads, and proceeded to West Coast Hwy. The skies kept up a light drizzle throughout. I was at the back and immensely apologetic to those who had to go slow behind me to sweep. Somewhere along Jln Ahmad Ibrahim, Rynn's tire burst so we stopped to get it fixed. KM told me that I was sort of micro-adjusting my handle bars such that my bike was not going in a straight, smooth path. KH and WY also mentioned that I was on very heavy gear. Hmmm.... good points, I started to observe my ride.

The rain started pouring in Tuas, and by the time we finished the hockey loop, we were drenched again. The group took the opposite direction of Jln Ahmad Ibrahim to NTU. Interesting, I normally took a right turn into Pioneer Road and back towards Jln Buroh to head up to NTU.

This was truly a hardcore group! Nobody wanted to abort the ride even as the rain pelted down again. I was in half a mind to bail out in a cab, only that there was none in that ulu part of the island. Haha. So we rode, braving the winds and rain and poor visibility. We had a quick toilet break at this country club along Upp Jurong Road and moved on.

I braced myself for the NTU loop. It was already scary coming down the long slope on a dry day, let alone a washed-out morning. Up, up, up, and then hung on to my brakes for dear life all the way down. Sucked in my tummy instinctively, as if that would help to slow the bike. My shoulders and upper body were all tensed up throughout the ride.

Traffic was heavy along the LCK cemetery stretch, with road marshals and cars going in all directions. One taxi recklessly did an u-turn as our riders were going straight, narrowly missing a crash-in. WY got in front of me and asked me to draft him along the open road. He held a good speed, but I was afraid of getting too close and not being able to react in time if he braked. We weaved through Neo Tiew, again a slightly different route from my usual and stopped at the Kranji coffeeshop for a drink.

Finally, out to Mandai, and the skies cleared up! There were many cars along the Mandai columbarium and subsequently Thomson Road, and we snaked through the vehicles. Before long we were back at our cars. My little car never looked chirpier.

Survived!, albeit because of the rain and their supposedly recovery starting out pace. Now I could breathe. Whew.

Total mileage: 80+km.

No comments: