Saturday, April 10, 2010

Long Night Run

Fatbird's Nighthawk Operation Friday night run 25km @ ECP-Coastal, 930pm. I rushed through my shower, grabbed some sandwiches from nearby Hans, and gobbled them while driving to ECP. Whew. Hopefully no indigestion or stitches.

Kien Mau was briefing the group on some training tips when I arrived. After some instructions on the route and group photo, we set off from Playground. My legs were ok and going at a good cadence. But the night air was extremely humid and still, and very soon, I was all drenched in perspiration. I kept refilling my bottle, and randomly had a craving for Geylang Yong-He tau-huay-zhui.

Although I was supposed to pace and guide the "mid-pack" runners, I did not see any. There were 2 very fast groups ahead, and another 2 small groups behind. And then there was a sprinkling of solo runners spaced out in between.

I reached the u-turn point at the first shelter along Coastal PCN. 1:36h. A quick check on my watch showed almost midnight. No wonder my mind was snoozing off. The return run was an auto-pilot all the way. I was trying to stay awake. Note to self- thankfully I did not sign up for Sundown, whew! Once again proven that any trainings in the dark (before sunrise or after sunset) was a no-no for me. ECP-Coastal was such a mental route, I would normally get bored and could not sustain all the way. Surprisingly, tonight I was able to run continuously without stopping to walk. To keep awake and distracted, I thought of my work plans and projects for the year. Soon I reached the hawker centre, then lagoon, then Mac, and the end was near! The time was almost 1am, I was tired and hungry.

Total: about 25km, 2:50h

No comments: