Sunday, November 4, 2007

MR25 35km Progressive Run

I joined the MR25 progressive run this morning instead of Safra's long run. The target was 35km around Macritchie Reservoir, Upp Thomson, Rifle Range Road area. RR and I started slightly later after the runners were flagged off. Bad decision, because that meant I'd be the last runner amongst all the very fast MR runners. I mean, people who wake up early on a Sunday morning to log 35km with MR25 cannot be tortoises.

So there I was, trudingly going through my steps. Somehow I was rather sluggish after the Northern Trail. I was wearing my Salomon trail shoes that I used for my USA trail marathon. It was great in the trails, but rather heavy pounding on the tarmac roads - and the route today was split 50-50 across the 2 terrains. I had my Endurance drink, but it did not perk me up as much as last Sunday's long run. 2h into the run and I felt like I needed a powergel. Last week, I took my gel only at 2:20h. Perhaps the rolling slopes expended more energy. I was my most sluggish between the 2:00 - 3:00h stretch, my strides wouldn't open up. My breathing wasn't heavy, in fact I was probably too relaxed. My legs did not feel heavy, yet they would not respond to my push. The last water point was at the end of Rifle Range Road. I think the distance by then was around 25km and I reached it at exactly 3h. Crumbs.... I finished up my pk of powergel, took some water, and prepared to head back to MR.

And then the feeling came! Yes! I felt like I could run back decently and not drag my feet. :) I overtook the guy who was ahead of me, so that made me 2nd last. Gee, I should not be proud of that. Actually, I really was not bothered by position or timing. My aim was simple - complete the entire route in about 4h. I had about 10ish km to go. I decided to return via the MR trail that would take me to the Jelutong tower, wooden bridge and golf course, rather than follow the prescribed Northern Trail. I wanted more exposure on trail because my shoes would perform better. I felt really breezy on the way back, and the strides felt strong and sure. I focused on the chi-running technique of mid-foot strike, leaning slightly forward, and swinging my arms backwards. I completed the last 10ish km in 1:07h, and stopped at the canteen to get a much needed Sportade.

I guess that was a negative split, but hmm.... I'm pretty sure I would not want that sort of timing. Last Sunday, I was strong until 3h point at ECP-B1, and then the last 9km took its toil. Today it was the exact opposite. I slogged for 3h before my engine kicked in the last 10km. Crumbs crumbs.... I hope I get the best of both on race day (hopefully not the worst combination!).

I swear powergel makes me hyper. I came home feeling non-taxed (sigh.... does that mean the run was not effective?), so I decided to wash things. Lo and behold, one thing led to another - I vacuumed my room, scrubbed 4 pairs of slippers, washed 2 pairs of shoes, rinsed my running gear, washed 2 giant teddy bears, and cleaned the bathroom! Gosh... I think my mum would ask me to run more. :)

1 comment:

The DreamRunner said...

PS,

good run and interesting account...most importantly, you enjoyed the whole affair.

Hope to hear more about your escapades through this blog of yours.

Keep running, Keep blogging!

Cheers,
Dream