Thursday, November 22, 2007

RIP Shoes

The time has come to lay my shoes to rest. Two very special pairs of runners that led much fulfilled lives. Shoes that have steadfastedly supported me through a year of long tough mileages, accompanied me on overseas races, been sloshed on foreign terrains, and saw me through many "firsts".

My purple Mizuno Wave Elixir was (and I'm still not used to calling them in a past tense) my race day competition shoes for the longest time. I used the Wave Precision some years back, and realized it was for my feet type. So I tried the Elixir for its lightweight stability support. It helped tremendously that the shoes came in purple-lilac (my favourite colours) and totally endeared me to them. I bought my Elixir about the time I joined Safra Running Club in June 2006, and saved them specially for race days and a couple of long runs. My Elixir saw me through many firsts:
- an improving AHM 2006
- PB at Singapore Stanchart Marathon 2006
- PB in Ang Kor Wat Half-Marathon 2006 (also my 1st overseas race)
- PB at KL Pacesetter 30km 2007
- PB at Hongkong Stanchart Marathon 2007
- MF Challenge 2007 (my 1st ultra 50km)

My baby blue Asics GT2100 was my everyday training shoes, that quietly held me in place as I tried out new running techniques, routes, terrains, dirt and dust. They softly caught my feet when I'm low and unthinkingly dragged my strides. They smartly adjusted their landings as I clumsily pounded downslopes. They held up in the rain, and never complained in the mud. I
repaired their 'opened mouths' once, and off they went, smart as before.

Sadly, the support and cushion is now gone, and the shoes feel "flat" during runs. Continued use of them would only cause knee strains and other injuries. I have extended their lifespans for gym and RPM use. Before they retire from the running circuit, this blog entry is my tribute to them. With thanks. :)

No comments: