Saturday, July 31, 2010

Problem Knee

There weather was wonderful for training this morning. I met George, his gf June, Jacq, Dennis and Mano for a run at MR. We ran the usual 10km route but in the reverse direction that I typically did. Interesting, because the slopes and stones felt different, and I was a little disoriented. I could have sworn that the rocks and stones seemed sharper, perhaps from the recent heavy showers. Really! I jogged along with Dennis and we chatted all the way about housing grouses. What a topic.

We finished a loop, the rest of them stopped while I went for another loop. But this time in my usual direction. The first 5km felt good. Then the problem began. My right knee felt locked, which happened frequently recently. I felt it on any runs more than an hour. Argh. So I stopped, stretched, rubbed, and continued. And I had to stop a couple of times. To the extent that I went to the fitness corner and did a massive stretch-down. It went from a locked feeling, to pain. Not acute sharpness, but enough discomfort with every running step that I gave up and walked the last 2km back to the end point. The stroll eased the pain somewhat, I guess there was much less impact. Still, I was not able to exert power through the knee, semi-limping. :(

I managed to get Victor for an emergency massage. Strangely, my knee felt worse after the shower and drive to his office. I could not bend it, as one naturally would when walking. I could only keep a very straight leg and walked awkwardly. After lots of rubbing and kneading, I was able to bend and flex my knee somewhat. But walking a short distance brought back the soreness and pain.

Sigh. I guess it will be a swimming week ahead. I think I probably would not be able to pedal and exert force through my knee with each pedal stroke. Sigh sigh.

No comments: