Sunday, January 9, 2011

An Adventurous 2010

One week into 2011 and I am trying to recall the highlights of 2010. We had welcomed 2010 with a house party with good friends and training kakis. Those were folks who saw me dripping wet from inelegant swims, sweaty from my clumsy rides, who heard me grumble and swear on the run, and in all degrees of unglam race situations. Those friends never gave up on me, and cheered me on during races. We toasted farewell to 2009 and popped crackers on New Year's Day.

2010 was a year of travels and races, crowned by a long mountaineering expedition to Argentina. I am thankful that I had my health, fitness and mobility to pursue the extreme sports that I love. I continued my 'tradition' of having some race or event each month. It was not intentional, but I just could not sit still without some adventure or distraction.

I started the year teaming up with KC for the Safra Avventure Race. We had a bad puncture that cost us much time, but it was good fun. Once again I thought seriously about getting a mountain bike, but never got to doing it.

Then I plunged into more swim, bike and run than I ever did before. I tackled my second Ironman in February. It was the last IM Langkawi, touted to be the hottest race in the series. Many athletes suffered at the lack of water and soaring temperatures. I was glad to complete the race and earn my finisher tee.

I did more trackwork and intervals, but IM had introduced a new concept of slowness. My speed plummeted from all the ultra distances and endurance races that I did. March saw the inaugural 218km NTU Run Round Singapore. I offered to pace Melvin for a short segment, which eventually turned out to be 60km. Totally unplanned, but I had great fun and was inspired.

In April, I gamely joined friends for the 6.5km Kapas Marang Swim. The maximum distance I ever covered in the open sea was 3.8km, and only because of Ironman races. I swam half and finished the distance on the police jet ski. It was amazing to see people who can swim fast like fish in the open waters.

Back on the roads, I paced Alber for one round (42km) of his Sundown 84km Ultra Marathon. I was not conditioned for long distance road running and cycled the second run, dishing out drinks and food. It was interesting to be a supporter instead. No pressure, just enjoying myself and the atmostphere.

I spent a good part of June in Scandinavia, soaking in MidSummer Night and the never-ending summer "days". Serendipitously, I visited Pat in her new home in Norway and learnt much more about her than I ever did when we were training in Singapore. I had hoped to join a race in Scandinavia, but summer races were so popular they were sold out almost a year in advance! I was almost up for a St. Petersburg Marathon but pulled out at the last minute. There was a little tinge of regret but I am sure I would have the chance to run other interesting races in the future.

Fresh from the trip, we headed for Port Dickson OD Triathlon. Short, fast races were not my cup of tea, but the convoy drive up to Malaysia and road trip made up for the bad timings. Races were just an excuse to get together.

Unfortunately, good things do not last long. I battled lower back and ITB problems soon after the race. I must have overused the muscles. That meant a lull of two months in August and September, while I spent an inordinate amount of time and money on treatments, with an eye to recover for my next key race. It was a jittery and trying period. My mood went on a lull as well as I diligently did all my stretching and strengthening as instructed by my physios.

In September, I decided to add stairs climbing to my training routine. I had an expedition to Mt Aconcagua at the end of the year and figured I should start training for it. It was somewhat opportune with my injury because stairs was low-impact and did not seem to induce much pain.

By October, I managed to recover enough to run somewhat pain-free. It was mentally agonizing and I tested my recovery at the Desaru long-distance triathlon. It was another road trip with training kakis, and I had no expectations except to complete the race. Thankfully I did. My "ace race" was the TNF 100 Duo and I wanted to defend my podium position from last year. I had an excellent partner in Lai Chee and we came in first. I was ecstatic, my very first "Champion" trophy!

I took a short break to go rock climbing in Krabi with Alber, before resuming my training for my climbing expedition. We then made our annual trip in November to Powerman Malaysia to battle the hot weather for a gruelling long distance duathlon.

Amidst my triathlon trainings, my focus shifted from local races to my Mt Aconcagua expedition in December. But there was one last race for the year, the Singapore Marathon. Totally unprepared for it, but I had a free slot two weeks before the event and took the chance to slowly burn some tarmac.

The marathon somewhat calmed my nerves. I was all too anxious and apprehensive over my climb a few days away. It was a bold decision, to venture to Argentina alone for a month. It was a mountain that I trained for, and a region that I had never been to. I was too long out of the mountains and the thought fascinated me. No Singaporean female climber had scaled Aconcagua and I wondered if I would be the first.

I made a short acclimatization climb to Mt Vallecitos and readied myself for Aconcagua. Alas, planning for expedition dates and timing the summit weather was like trying to strike lottery on hindsight. I did not summit the mountain, coming 400m short of the peak. I was really disappointed, but every climb teaches us something useful for the next expedition. I surprised myself with each successful ferrying to higher altitudes, with pack weights that I never imagined I would carry. There was some solace in that.

I ended 2010 and began 2011 in the mountains. I only hope that 2011 will be as fruitful and eventful (minus the injuries) as before. I am certainly looking forward to more exciting adventures. I had a list of activities that I would love to attempt in this lifetime. Maybe I might frame it up as a constant reminder to myself:

- Mt Denali in Alaska
- Mt Vinson in Antartica
- Run a polar marathon (basically visit the N and S Poles)
- Trek & pull snow sled across Antartica
- High altitude trail ultra-marathon
- Mt Elbrus in Russia
- Mt Everest.....

In the meanwhile, there are some races already lined up for 2011. But what I really eagerly look forward to, is my impending flight home in 18h. Can't wait! :)

No comments: