Monday, March 1, 2010

Ironman Langkawi (Race)

27 Feb 2010

IM Langkawi lived up to its reputation of being "the toughest show on earth" (so-claimed the organizers). It was indeed challenging, made tougher by race support.

In addition to the heat and terrain, one had to be prepared for Malaysia-boleh style support. The traffic control and road marshals did an excellent job on race day, staying on until the last runners came through. The aid stations, however, were really on a low-budget this year. 2-3 stations ran out of water during the bike course. Overheard a caucasian competitor exclaiming, "Out of water again? What a joke!". Yes, even in an ironman race. Water and gatorade supply on the run course ran short of cups and were served up by the bottles, depleting the supply even faster. Food on the bike course was non-existent, as were portaloos. Food on the run course comprised cut up powerbars that had melted in the heat, oranges and bananas turned soggy together in ice-melted pool, and powergels that vanished after my first round.

The race flag-off for non-pro competitors was 7:45am. We reached the bike transition at 6am and set up our gear for the day. The swim was a deep-water start off a floating platform. We swam against the current going forward and took such a long time. The return swim was easier, but still, I took 2:12h to complete. I came out of the water to Kat, Rachel, Ronnie and several supporters cheering me on. We were so nervous at the impending cut-off time of 2:20h.

I spent about 11min in the transition tent, putting on my attire, sunblock and stuff. Oops. By the time I set off on my bike, there were very few left. Everytime I hopped on my bike after an IM swim, it was somehow an emo moment. Like I somehow survived yet another long swim and finally on my wheels.

My legs were fresh from the long break, and I might have pushed on too hard in the first loop. The weather today was relatively good compared to the previous days. There was a slight overcast and wind, so I tried to take advantage of the cooler weather while it lasted. Maintained at 30-33kmh on the average flat and caught up with several cyclists ahead. But I would pay the price later, for it was more than my usual training speed. Hit all the slopes and was on the lookout for the killer one after a shrimp farm, landmarked by 2 giant shrimps at its entrance. Voom! the slope rose ahead. I saw some cyclists pushing their bikes up and decided to do likewise. I was already down to my lightest gear and nowhere near half the slope. Some cyclists dug in deep and rode up beside me, but I eventually caught up with them again after the slope.

Supporters by the roadside were fun. Japanese/ Korean supporters thought I was one of them. Others thought I was a Malaysian Malay/Chinese. And then some of our Singaporean supporters kept shouting "Go Pinkie go!" because I was in a hot-pink long-sleeved top. (btw, loved my new UnderArmour top!)

Doing decent on the time-check for 2 laps. Then the clouds parted and the sun shone through. And people started to melt. My quads started aching and by the 3rd lap, cramps set in. There was a flat stretch along the airport and the continuous pedaling 'conditioned' my thighs to seize up when we hit the slopes thereafter. I dropped all my gears and went lightly at 18-20kmh on the flat, while sucking my Nuun salt tablets and stretching my legs. But to no avail. First the right abductors above the knee. So I transfered weight to the left leg. Then the left abductors above the knee, and it pulled all the way to the other end of the big muscle near the groin area. Ouch ouch. But I could not stop pedaling in the midst of an upslope, so I had to grit through the pain. Every pedal stroke tightened the cramp. Finally I dismounted and pushed. A media vehicle promptly pulled up alongside and snapped pictures, how totally unglamourous! I managed to get through the Lap3 interim cut-off, whew. Repeated the same cramp cycle for the 4th lap (can die!) before returning to the race transition area. Total push: 5 times. Total time: 7:27h.

I did not know how I held my bladder for so long since there was no portaloo along the bike route. Or maybe all the water I drank had vapourised in my sweat. I changed, used the toilets and started my run. It was exactly 10:00h into the race. Which meant that my marathon timing would determine my race time. I made the dumbest mistake of leaving behind my 2 powergels in my run bag, thinking that there would be gel supply along the way. I forgot this was Malaysia and not IMWA.

It was very demoralizing to see other competitors with multiple lap-wrist-bands while I had none. Sigh. My quads were better and did not cramp. I managed to run decently in the 1st lap. But I was low-sugar, low-energy. The food at the aid station was revolting. I had some cookies but their effect did not last long. My tongue was deadened by all the powerbars and Gatorade, I was craving for savoury snacks and iced-milo. The run was painfully humid and I nearly fell asleep. It took tremendous effort to force myself through. I walked so much, it turned out to be my longest marathon ever. The aim was to collect 4 wrist-bands, run 5 laps, and straight through to the Finish chute. The route had long gradual rolling slopes which during normal circumstances would be irrelevant to me. But today was not a normal day, and gradual took on a new meaning. I saw friends on the opposite side, but was too zoned out to wave and smile. I managed a couple of wrist-flick acknowledgements...

I had sugared cracker biscuits in my special needs bag. Six precious pieces of them (I should have packed more or threw in powergels and milo!) The sugar rush enabled me to run a couple of kms, and then I walked, like a wound-down toy. I saved 2 pieces for my last lap.

Finally my 5th and last lap! Munched 1 biscuit, hopefully to last me until the 4km u-turn point. I very carefully held on to the other piece and ran with it. I strolled a little, and a Korean competitor behind shouted my bib number, "491, keep going!" and nudged me along. We ended up pacing each other three-quarters of the way. Passed the u-turn mat, and gobbled my last biscuit with much happiness. Last stretch now. I tried to jog all the way and not stop. 1km more to go, I literally did a tempo-run to the finishing banner. Coming through, I remembered to raise my hands and look up for a good photo finish. Run time: 5:59h (exactly 1h slower than IMWA). Total race time: 15:59h.

Whew! What a day! One more IM medal earned. Pity there was no eagle medal this year.

Lesson learnt: messed up nutrition & failed my run.
Total-15:59:37; S-02:12:33; B-07:27:05; T2-00:08:59; R-05:59:58; 8th/9 category finishers

2 comments:

EnAikAY said...

Well done n congrats!
Thanks for sharing your experience of the race. Nice write ups.
I was cheering at the far end u-turn point on the run course, and i think i remember one lady running in long sleeves pink outfit. Glad to 'accidentally' come through your blog.

Henry Tan- The Endurance Sports Enthusiast said...

Hello PS; well done, well done and congrats!! Glad you shared your experience of the race; and it kept me well informed of what has happened before and during the race.