Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday Morning Stroll

My first long run in a week! I was apprehensive if I would be able to complete it. There was a Sundown Familiarization 34km run occuring as well this morning. I decided not to go for that and join the Safra run instead because I was not confident that I could complete the distance after a week's hiatus.

True enough, the run was a nightmare. We ran from clubhouse towards S. Buona Vista and NUH. Up and up, round and round we went, up the 99-loop road. I reckoned I did about 10km before my engine died. I was near the NUS running tracks when Ricci, Ong etc came from the opposite direction. I walked around Clementi Road to NUS entrance, up the slope, took a water break before I resumed running to NUH. Did not see Alber ahead even as I entered Science Park I, he was probably either way in front, or had stopped behind to look for me. As I was wondering, I heard his footsteps from behind. Must have missed me when I went to refill my water. We ran into Kent Ridge Park before our momentum died again. Oh sheesh. It was painfully pointless to continue the run, so we decided to walk back to Safra. Took a shortcut via the Hort Park and Depot Road. Lovely weather amidst a scenic laidback surrounding for a Sunday morning stroll. Hungry.... Most tempted to stop at the hawker centre for breakfast. :)

I realised I was not too hung up today about the incomplete run. On any other days, I would have been most annoyed. But today, I took it all in my stride (literally walking strides, ha). There would be another run another day. Probably need to gradually ease back into the training routine. Amazing (or annoying?) what a week's break could do to our fitness. Meanwhile, inhale the fresh air in the park. :)

No comments: