Monday, March 31, 2008

RPM Challenge & SAC Gathering

The Singaporeans from Sabah race were meeting up tonight for a catch up dinner. But first, I had to pump some adrenalin out of the way following the jog-ala-stroll yesterday. Prepped myself for a spin class after work. Yes, my first RPM in I-can't-remember-how-long. I think I'm just wasting my gym membership from low usage. Sigh.

The class was unusually full today. Eddie was there too, had not seen him in a while. Ali took the class through the usual 9 tracks for a RPM Challenge, and threw in an extra speed track at the end. Nobody in class objected nor supported the addition. Probably all too flustered after the last climb to respond. Ha. "To flush out the lactic from the legs", Ali reasoned. It was an old speed track from RPM 22. Good to have a familiar music piece to motivate the legs.

Drove over to catch up with the SAC racers after class. Rowdy and hilarious bunch, mostly hardcore MTBrs. The two Indian chaps were there too, regaling stories about their very adventurous race, wrong turns, lost in the dark and getting stuck in a mini whirlpool in the dark for an hour. The rest of them were trading stories about MTB trails in Singapore, the upcoming 100k at the new Tampines trail park, a newly rated ubin trail etc. Something totally out of my usual circuit, as I listened on curiously. I was fascinated by the trail descriptions, but from a runner's perspective. I would love to run on them and explore the terrain. A tempting idea obviously. The dinner ended with most people declaring their intentions to race again next year in the 10th anniversary of the SAC. Yes indeed, but first, I would need a decent MTB and full armour to guard against more stitches or broken body parts. Oops!

No comments: