Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Maths Prodigy or Klutz

There are Maths prodigies who could blink and dream up multiple solutions to a single problem. Then there are Number klutzs who could not, for the life of them, solve a simple quadratic equation to save themselves. Tonight I felt like that E-grade student with no numerical affinity and could not solve the Maths puzzle no matter how hard he tried.

4x 1200m @ Queenstown stadium. I should retire from running. Looking at the turn-up tonight, I knew I would be the sweeper again.

First, the warm up run to stadium. Everyone was going so fast, even before the speedwork. Felt a bit of stomach cramp.

Then, the track workout per se. Target was <2min per 400m, and <6min per set of 1200m. I barely made it under 6min. It was consistently 5.55-5.57min for all 4 sets. Heaving, panting. Light-headed and headache by the last set. Did not dare to open up strides fully and strain my joints. 95% of the group was ahead of me.

Last, the return jog. At the onset of the return journey, I felt a tinge of ITB and knee discomfort. Did not feel it during the speedwork, perhaps too focused on catching oxygen and not be last. I was really slow on the return, even behind our newer, slower runners. I trotted, stretched, strolled, trotted. Runners were midway through their stretching when I returned. Demoralizing is an understatement. I went into the gym for my cool down and abs routine.

I am not really look forward to my weekly trainings. There is probably a limit to the cliched "challenging oneself" or "turning adversity into strength", or "yardstick to do better". Being put in place 3 times a week is not very encouraging. Maybe I should simply accept that I am slow, retire, and run my own leisure runs to keep fit. Like the E-grader simply trying hard for a pass.

Just for the record, I aced my Maths in school.....

2 comments:

warriorsofwind said...

I still remember the story of your experience at Mustagh Ata - conquest of oneself and not the mountain. That has always served as an inspiration to me. I hope that that could come back as an encouragement to you again. Have faith!! :)

warriorsofwind said...

I still remember the story of your experience at Mustagh Ata - conquest of oneself and not the mountain. That has always served as an inspiration to me. I hope that that could come back as an encouragement to you again. Have faith!! :)