Saturday, April 19, 2008

Happiness @ MR

I was awakened around 430am by super loud thunders and rumbles that shook the windows. Darn, it was pouring, which did not augur well for my morning run. At 6am the rain stopped and I thought I could make it for the run. I was meeting Heng and Aik Hock for a morning LSD at MR. Alas, it started pouring heavily again at 640am. Oh crats. Car was parked outside in the rain. Too much hassle and uncertainty. In the end, the bed beckoned and I went back to snooze mode.

Listened to my body. And body said needed to sleep. So sleep I did. Until I woke up naturally before 10am. Oops. I was suppose to be running. The rain had long ceased and the sun was out full strength. Ok, time to hit the trails. Washed up, grabbed my gear, breakfast, and headed to MR. The carpark was rather empty by then. I did a quick stretch and started running.

I had not been to MR for some time. How I missed the trail and the nature. Even though it was close to 11am, the trees and vegetation shielded the heat from the path. It was cool to run under the canopy shade. The grand plan was to do 2 loops of the standard 10.5km route, but using the trail-under-treetop-walk section. I wanted to minimize exposure to the midnoon heat. My hip felt ok. There was a slight soreness as a result of yesterday's massage, but it was different from the usual tightness at the joint. It felt rather 'loosened' and normal. Wow, I could not recall the last time I ran without that tightness.

Last evening I went to F's for a massage. He wondered why the hip-butt joint was taking so long to recover, so we kept pressing around the area until he hit a painful-yet-"sng" spot. Ouch. I had gone for several massage sessions but never felt that sharp pain. It must be the correct spot. Then without warning, F started rubbing it rigourously. Double ouch! Breathless. The last time I experienced such pain during massages was probably a few years ago (worse back then). F stopped. Break time. Breathed. Resumed. Held my breath. Break. Repeated that about 4 times. Thankfully the pain eased as the tension in butt loosened. When I stood up, the lightless was refreshing.

Back to the morning run. I ran very slowly. I think my trail pace was probably 8min. So absorbed in my renewed hip, yet cautiously not overstriding, I went over the rolling tarmac slopes, past the golf course and almost headed towards Pierce. I backtracked to the trail entrance which was semi-hidden along the road. Someone shouted "Hello" from the treetop walk above. I looked up to see a family peering down and waving at me. I waved back. The trail was muddy from the rain, squishy squoshy, as I followed the natural momentum over the slopes. Skipped over some rocks and debris playfully. Since I was wearing my GTX trail shoes, I could splash into small streams and puddles. Still felt good at that point. I finished the 1st loop in about 1:36h, no idea of the actual distance.

Began on the 2nd loop, and sipped some power gel at 2h mark. Instead of going over the tarmac slopes, I turned left after Northern Trail and used the MR Ultra route towards the entrance of Treetop Walk. I had never gone on it and did not know how to get onto it. After a little side exploration, I found the path leading to the entrance. Ahh, now I knew. I continued into the "real trail" section again, covering the familiar muddy terrain. Sipped gel every now and then. Oh no, I was going so slowly I would be so late for my lunch-tea appointment. I had totally underestimated my timing!

Walked a little here and there, but ran most of the way. Three boys on mountain bikes somehow found their way to the wooden plank bridge connecting to the golf course. Hmm, I thought bikes were not allowed within MR compounds. Ok 7.5km marker reached at the fitness station. Just a little bit more to finish. Yes!

Quickly stretched and washed up. The cleaner was washing the toilet near the canteen, and he helpfully offered me the jet hose to shower instead of squatting unglamourously at the tap. Not that holding the hose was any more glam. But it was much faster and cleaner. Thought I could dash off, but crumbs!, car key inserted yet would not turn. Jiggled the steering wheel, tried a few times, before the key hole mysteriously unlocked itself. Clueless.

Total run time was more than 3h for a distance of about 23km I think. :( But completion without any problem from my hip. Happiness! :)

1 comment:

warriorsofwind said...

I was at MR in the morning 7am. Didn't rain over there. :)