Monday, April 7, 2008

RPM (v) Challenge

Set up my RPM bike and started spinning. I could feel the body drag from the weekend long runs. Met Kenny at MR yesterday and he also suggested doing back-to-back runs to simulate the body fatigue, instead of a single ultra run. Midway through track #4/5, my nose started to run too. Bad sign, sniffing meant the body immune system was down and I should rest. Well, it is a known fact that our immune systems are suppressed during ultra or endurance events to pool resources and allow the bodies to deal with the workout stresses. Hence the need for proper recovery after long hard workouts. Ah, but my workouts are long, not hard. Haha.

So anyhow, sniff sniff, back to pedalling. Mind wandered off to thinking how to ride at the City Duathlon a week after Sundown Ultra. In the background, Ali was shouting some instructions above the loud music. A couple of songs from previous releases sent the seasoned riders into auto-pilot as we were familiar with the routine. Concentration floated off again to some work I was researching on. Forced myself to stay focused on the spin and relax the body. Yes, how oxymoronic in sports. One needs to relax the upper bod instead of gripping the handle bars, yet hold in the abs to keep the balance, and get the cadence going.

Felt tired by the end of the hour. Need to eat and sleep.....

No comments: