Monday, April 21, 2008

High Cadence Pedal Stroke

Went for RPM Challenge. Took a while to warm up to the tracks though, perhaps a consequence of the weekend's long runs. We hit the pace track, usually the one I enjoyed most because it was fast and furious, just spin like the cliched 'no tomorrow'.

I was feeling the fatigue when suddenly I thought I should use RPM classes to practise high cadence pedalling. That might reduce my cramping up during bike-run transitions. Suddenly I had a new focus to distract from my tiredness. I zeroed in on the instructor's cadence and tried to keep pace with him. He reminded the class to drop and relax our shoulders. I did not even realise that subconsciously, my shoulders were tensed up after taking many breaths. I did what he said. For a fleeting moment (until the end of that sprint interval anyway), I felt my legs flying at a light, high cadence (yet with enough resistance to prevent injury) and no fatigue. Voila! I was pleased. :)

Killed my legs enough during class, and decided to skip the abs floorwork. Happy to head home and chill by my laptop. :)

No comments: