Monday, April 21, 2008

Rolling Foam & Balls

My little experiment over the course of last week with various gadgets.

My problem pain area was the ITB around hip joint. Last week I borrowed the foam roller from Melvin (Jr) and tried it. Not bad, it worked nicely on the calves/ lower legs. Alas not that great on the butt/ hip area. Maybe too much flesh there, the massaging was not penetrating enough. Then after a while, the hands got tired from propping myself up. Duh....

So I tried rolling my hip over a tennis ball while lying on the ground. Similarly, the tennis ball was too big and could not deliver a deep spot targeted rub. Then the ball was semi-flattened.... Oops.

In the end I used a golf ball instead, but lying on the bed. Doing that on the ground would be too painful. It worked nicely. Just lie on one side with the golf ball at the targeted area and start rolling. :)

Then out of curiousity, I experimented with the golf ball on the calves. Especially my lower calves, which were very prone to tensing up. Either I use them a lot or the blood circulation was bad, a result of long-ago overstrains. So, hold golf ball in hand and knead over the sore areas, as if you were trying to roll a dumpling (tang yuan). Perfect!

No comments: