Monday, August 9, 2010

Headwind-ed

We did another Desaru long ride this National Day. There was an early morning shower because the roads were still wet when we started our ride, but luckily we had avoided the rain. It was a good ride, but I got totally dropped by the guys. Three times. So much for morale.

First drop. From jetty towards Petronas. I missed a right turn, together with Andrew and Ansley. And then they missed a left turn, so I called them back. By the time we turned around, we lost everyone else.

Second drop. From Petronas to Jade restaurant. I was left trailing smoke after abt 5km, and rode the rest of the 35-odd km in silent cursing of the headwinds. It was strong, reminiscent of IMWA. There was nobody to draft, and it was all I could to keep on pedalling. Sometimes my tired speed dropped to 17kmh, but mostly I kept at 24-26kmh. It was hard work battling the wind. Today's ride was really a bummer. I could barely hit 30kmh.

We stopped for lunch. Then back to the jetty.

Third drop. From restaurant to jetty. Right leg ITB. Left leg almost cramped. The irony was that the cramp was a result of a squatting loo, rather than cycling. Brilliant. I was trying hard not to cramp, so I practised pulling instead stepping down. And in the process, over-pulled my hamstring. And got dropped within a few km.

Sigh. A crappy ride. Hardwork, yet still so slow.

No comments: