Monday, December 31, 2007

A Colourful 2007

2007 was a year of many firsts in my little adventure world.

The year started off with a return in January from a successful climb in 3rd Peak of Mt Siguaniang in Sichuan, China. That was followed within 2 weeks by my first 30km race at the GE Pacesetter in KL, where I broke the 3h barrier. Continuing the momentum 2 months later, I clocked my PB at the HK Stanchart Marathon, which was also my first overseas marathon. April then saw my first attempt at leisure rock-climbing on natural limestone walls in Krabi. Shortly after, I ran my first 10km race at the Mizuno Wave Mt Faber run.

May was a very busy month, starring an Oakley Duathlon where my Titanium road bike made its debut at a race. A week later, our Safra running club held a successful Mt Faber Challenge. I ran 5 loops and got 5th position - my first ultra distance!

Running then took a backseat as I ramped up stairs and Bt Timah hill training in preparation of my Mustagh Ata climb in June/ July. Although I did not summit, I was thrilled at my first exposure to a high altitude of 7,000m.

I returned home to an intensive training schedule courtesy of our trainers at Safra club in preparation of the annual Army Half Marathon in August. I managed to clock my first sub-2h in Singapore for that distance. September was the month for the Ladies Triathlon - my very first olympic distance triathlon event - but it was unfortunately aborted due to heavy rain on race day. I then travelled to the USA for work in October and had a fabulous opportunity to participate in the Berkeley Golden Hills Trail Marathon - my first marathon distance on trail terrain. It was a priceless experience. Still on a high from the race, I went to Lumut in Perak, Malaysia with a number of Safra runners for a Powerman Duathlon. That was my first time travelling overseas with a bicycle, and using cleats and aerobars on a ride. December saw many of us running the annual Singapore Stanchart Marathon. For many of my friends, it was their inaugural marathon or their personal bests, kudos to the club's training plan. I ended the year on a high note with a completion of 70km at the MR25 Ultramarathon held at Macritchie Reservoir. It was definitely a wonderful closure to the year.

2007 would indeed be a hard year to beat.
Here's a toast to more great adventures ahead in 2008. :)

No comments: