Sunday, December 2, 2007

Singapore Stanchart Marathon 2007

Did not train hard. 4:29.13h (chip)/ 4:30:30h (gun). 'nuff said.

The Stanchart run was my 4th marathon this year, in addition to a variety of other races and climbing activities. I could feel the race fatigue setting in at the start of the run, and it was not feeling like a PB day. I did not see any of the marathon pacers at all throughout the race even though I was going at a relatively consistent pace. This was probably the 1st year that I did not manage a negative split timing. :( I struggled through the last 10km, and was overtaken by many runners whom I know.

Many of the Safra runners clocked good timings, especially the first-timers. That proved the effectiveness of the training plan and the results were for all to see. All those who conscientiously did their speed work and interval trainings showed huge progress today. I probably should also rethink my new strategy of re-mixing my Endurance drink on the run, which cost me a couple of minutes. The race today got me to re-evaluate my running strengths - were there any? Given that I am no good in sprints or power bursts, and that I have also lost my endurance edge since many relatively newer runners have caught up, fast. Some natural first-timers were way ahead of me in their debut marathon. So, why am I running? Nonetheless, I was happy that Heng, Alber and Shirley did very well today. At least my sharing of tips and race strategy was not in vain.











On hindsight, some of the things that could have gone better today:
- should have worn my lighter Mizuno race shoes instead of Asics GT
- my Endurance drink was too concentrated, hence perpetual thirst and kept stopping for water
- no more pasta loading for future races - once again proven that I could not digest it efficiently, and ran with a stuffed feeling
- as a result of which, I went to the toilet at 18km (1min!), missed pacing with Alber, ran alone thereafter and basically slacked
- tried new strategy of carrying a small pack of Endurance powder and twice re-mixed my drink while running - I've to think of a better way to refresh my drink

As a self-consolation, perhaps this could be a warm-up to the HK Stanchart Marathon two months later. I wonder how I could maintain next year's excessive running in preparation for the Sundown Ultra. Shudders.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hard to see people go by over the years. Never mind lah. Keep running.

les