Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back in Zurich

http://picasaweb.google.com/simsps/EuropeTripZurichLucerne2429Oct2008#

I took a train to Zurich after the conference ended. Unfortunately, Sylvia's heating system in the house had broken down - no heated rooms and no hot water shower, and she was apologetic that the place would be cold. Everything that ensued was unplanned. She asked Bob to pick me from the train station. Then Bob took me to the public lockers to deposit my luggage (instead of dragging them around half the town), and we went grocery shopping. He was having a surgery tomorrow and had to buy meals for the next few days. We then took a bus to meet his friends - David and Litas - whom we were having dinner with. They lived in a very very old, conserved apartment building that was built in the 14th century. Even the wooden beams that ran across the ceiling were preserved and very old. The apartment was in the Old Town part of Zurich and very conveniently located to many shops. However, it did not have any lifts. David lived on the highest floor (4th?), so imagine having to lug all the suitcases up and down tiny wooden steps every time they made a trip, which was very very often.

We met Sylvia for dinner at a nice restaurant. All of them knew each other, and belonged to different parts of the funds and banking industry. I sensed a lot of old rich money, and a lifestyle that I merely read about, but was not privy too. Yet they were very humble and down-to-earth people, despite having much wealth and sophisticated tastes for the good life. That night, I left my luggage at the train station (having to return anyway the next morning). I slept on a lamb's wool base padding, put on one of Sylvia's old cashmere sweater, and covered myself with two thick duvets. And I snoozed like a log in the warmth while it rained outside.....

No comments: