Friday, October 24, 2008

Zurich

My flight to Zurich was relatively empty and many of us could afford a 3-seat lie down and a decent sleep. I arrived at Zurich airport, and before the passengers even got off, I heard an announcement paging for my name. Turned out that Sylvia had left a message for me with the SQ ground staff. Swiss efficiency! I was very impressed.

I took a train to Sylvia's place and she picked me from the Tiefurbrunnen station. Her house was a villa in the very exclusive and expensive part of Zurich called "Gold Coast", overlooking the Zurich lake. Nothing but the very best for her consumption and residence. It was a lovely place, so tranquil and comfortable. According to Sylvia, the villa had 13 rooms (but I did not see so many). Philippe had connected me with Sylvia who very generously put me up at her place, and arranged a day's programme for me! Her friend Yvette showed me around the entire Zurich, on public transport.

The transportation system in Switzerland is really world-class: precise, efficient and clean. Trains, buses and trams arrive and depart on the dot. 9:02 means 9:02, not a minute ahead or late. Well, if it was not on time, it was probably only 1 min off!

Enroute, we stopped at Helen's boutique. Helen had just returned from a purchasing trip in Milan. I posed for a shot in one of the new season's lilac sporty jacket with shiny ‘scales’ outside the shop. Apparently a customer drove by, saw us, and drove back to buy the jacket!

At night, Sylvia cooked and had a cosy little dinner party at her house - Yvette, Helen, Bob. Both Bob and Sylvia had businesses in Singapore, and they were ardent supporters of our country. They each spent considerable time in a year living in Singapore. Bob said the humidity and weather was good for his old bones. J Sylvia whipped up a pot of lovely fresh-water mussels simmered in an alcohol-based stew. Very very fresh and good. There was no shell or fishy smell at all. Considering that I never ate shell-fish in Singapore, I polished off a decent serving. Sylvia had a garden and grew her own herbs and fruits. She made an aromatic pilaf, with veal stewed in ‘quinces’ – a fruit that looked like a small pear and was supposedly very good for health. The freshness and organic taste of the food was evident. I had a good rest that night. Sylvia apologized that the room was not luxurious, but it was already very comfortable for me.

http://picasaweb.google.com/simsps/EuropeTrip24Oct2Nov2008#

No comments: