Friday, October 31, 2008

Helsinki in 3 Days

http://picasaweb.google.com/simsps/EuropeTripHelsinki29Oct1Nov2008

Helsinki weather was grey and gloomy. Sunshine was 8am to 4pm daily. It was really depressing when it got dark, and cold. The winds were so strong on one night that I had to fight it really hard to walk forward.

So for 3 evenings, all I could do was hit the malls after my meetings ended and it was pitch dark. Luckily most of the shops close at 9pm so there was still life and buzz after office hours (unlike Lucerne, which fell asleep after 6pm). I checked out the shops and compared prices. Things were still expensive, despite the fall in Euro. I had wanted to buy a pair of Oakley snow goggles for mountaineering use, but alas the shop assistants could not find the key to unlock the display cupboard! In the end I got a pair of much cheaper Bolle. I guess they would work as well.

Winter gear was in full display at the shops. I had to greatly resist the temptation to buy yet more winter jackets, of which I would have absolute no use for in Singapore. Zara had nice contemporary designs. Ecco leather boots were more much expensive than in Singapore. And many local and European labels were found in Helsinki.

Food was a nightmare. Cheapest was MacDonalds, seriously. Next was cold sandwich (panini or some baguette bread, with cold cut ham and cheese). Then came kebabs and Chinese takeouts, at least those were hot food. Followed by the dine-in restaurants of course. Finn cuisine was a LOT of smoked everything..... fish was the hot favourite. Due to the cold winters, where things could be kept fresh for a long time, there was little need to use spices to season the food and musk any dour tastes. Rather, put salt or smoke them and they would keep fine.

Thankfully on the last day, the weather cleared up and there was some sunlight. It was nice to feel the warm rays on my face, while the wind blew up a substantial wind chill. Leena took me for a stroll by the coastal marina - I think I had been there before. Well, on my 1st visit to Helsinki, I pretty much walked 20km around the entire city. After she left me for the day, I continued my exploration to familiar sights. I was pleased that I still knew my way around the city. A new place I went to during this trip was a cemetery park by the sea. It was a tranquil place, befitting of an ancestral resting grounds. Today was All Saints' Day - a day to remember ancestors. So all the shops were closed, and there were many observances at various cathedrals. Tombstones were dutifully cleaned, and candles lit. Reluctantly, I ended my stroll in Helsinki. There were still so many lakes and parks to absorb, but it was time to go home.....

No comments: