Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Conference Presentation & a Long Run

My presentation this morning went well. Our slides and video were well-received. :) The networking was decent too, I made some good contacts.

Lunch had some white fish cooked in cream sauce. I just could not resist fish, and had two big servings of it. Oh dear....

In the afternoon, I went to a Russian travel agency to inquire about visa. I wanted to see St Petersburg over Easter weekend. They said they could not do it for a SGP passport and gave me another agency's address. That agency was able to process it for me, but it would be very costly. 55Eur for a base application, 10Eur for service, 65Eur for express application, and an unknown XXEur for SGP passport (could be 5-65, only to be known at the point of application at the Russian consulate). Gosh, that visa would easily be 150-200Eur!?! Darn, I should have made a 1-day express application before I left Singapore, which would just be about SGD200. Then there was the uncertainty of an unsuccessful application, and all logistics hinged on the visa.

I am having second thoughts about the trip. Too many uncertainties and uncontrollable factors, it might not be worth my brain cells to figure out contingency plans... I had 12hr to decide, tomorrow is the last day to submit my passport for the application.

So to clear my brain (and calories), I went for a run. The weather is fabulous now in Helsinki. The sun is shining and lakes starting to melt. The days are getting longer, sunset is about 8pm. I knew my way around enough not to need a map. I ran, and ran. Following the lake and away from my hotel. Cutting through the Senate Square and to the waterfront. Suddenly I was back at where I got 'lost' on Sunday! Ahh, so that was how the roads linked up. Slowly my thoughts cleared up and I was able to think through options and reflect on the conference. I headed back to the hotel. To clock the time and mileage, I went round, and round, and round the lake. A total of 4 loops to end the run. Total of 2:10h. It should be about 20-21km. :)

2 comments:

warriorsofwind said...

Some website that u would apply visa online.

Russian Consulate
uorimiehenkatu 6, 00140 Helsinki, Finland. Phone: +358-9-661 448; Fax: +358-9-622 1812; E-mail: consdep@mail.ru. Working hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 – 12:00.

http://www.visahouse.com/russian-consulates.asp

http://www.visatorussia.com/russianvisa.nsf/index.html

http://www.russia-visa.com/application/


Hope it helps

warriorsofwind said...

Mistake on the address in earlier comment: Should be.

Vuorimiehenkatu 6, 00140 Helsinki, Finland. Phone: +358-9-661 448; Fax: +358-9-622 1812; E-mail: consdep@mail.ru. Working hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 – 12:00.