Sunday, March 29, 2009

Running at 3degC

We left Leena's house in the afternoon and drove to Helsinki. I checked into my hotel and headed out for a run (because the gym charged Eur15 per entry!). I put on a long sleeved workout shirt, my micro-fleece, and my new Montane light shell. For bottoms, I had my 2XU tights and a pair of GTX Paclite pants to resist the wind and water. Then I tied my light weight down jacket around my waist and started running. My hotel was across a lake (well, there are many many lakes in Helsinki). It was cold initially.... My head was losing heat and fingers freezing. I put on my beanie, pulled up the hood, and stuffed my hands into the sleeves of my down jacket. It was a mistake to bring my normal Asics instead of the Goretex Salomon trail shoes. The roads and paths were sludgy - melted dirty ice and water. Soon my white-pink shoes were stained with blotches of dirt, and I had to take care where I stepped.

I sort of knew my way around since I had walked to many places during my last trip. The big display clock near the train station stated 6degC, bearable. After 10min, I warmed up and did not feel so cold. But I had to keep moving or else lose the heat. I explored the area, and took a few new routes. I ran to the cemetry grounds and lakeside, then back to the train station. The temperature was now 3degC. So far so good, I knew my way around. Then, oops! The last new path brought me to somewhere alien. I consulted the city map and found myself in the opposite direction from my hotel. It was getting cold and I wanted to be back in familiar territory before it got dark. I put on my down jacket and ran in it. I asked a few people along the way, and finally made it back to the city centre and train station, from where I knew my bearings and directions. It was 2hrs since I started on my run. I popped by the supermarket to buy some food and walked back to my hotel. Brrr....

No comments: