Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Miami First Impressions

I'd been musing over the last few days - that if Florida succeeds as a tourist destination, perhaps our heat & humidity won't put people off too much. I've been thinking abt tourism since I'm staying in Miami South Beach, supposedly the hip happening area, with the historic art & pub culture. I'm one street away from the beach front, and 5min car from the more exclusive resorts.

I can't comment on other cities in Florida (afterall home to DisneyWorld). I feel Miami is really about real estate and retirement or vacation houses. The prime beach front are mostly condo-like developments. The entire boardwalk along the ocean is very manicured, every other swaying palm tree or pebbled walkway is planned. Think The Caribbean condo extended 3-4miles. It's hotter but less humid than SGP. But likewise have the same problem with over-powered AC on buses and in conference rooms. Nights are cooler, 24degC. Still able to stroll down a shopping stretch the length of Orchard with no sweat.

Florida works as a tourist destination because I think it's driven largely by domestic tourists escaping the harsh winters. I met a couple of conference participants very happy to be here because it's snowing or approaching 0degC back home. The organizers were deliberate in their choice of venue. Participants were seeking the heat. I'd rather be in Californian weather.

I'm not sure about SGP's 'weather proposition'. None of our close neighbours have cold winters they need to escape from. Those countries that do also have their escape routes. Koreans to Jeju, Chinese to Hainan Island, Japanese to... I don't know (Hawaii & Jeju?), Australians to Bali.

But Miami feels empty, souless. Shopping doesn't count as an 'authentic experience'. Seeing the Everglades was boring because we have Jurong Crocodile Farm in SGP, and Msian rainforests diversity nearby. (Nonetheless, I carried a baby alligator & took an obligatory tourist pose...) Miami reminds me of high drugs, high life & wild parties. Probably over-stereotyping. A Chilean cab driver I chatted with told me that he is an engineer but came to Miami to earn more money. I think Chileans have to pay to work here, the labour market isn't easily accessible to them (unlike Cubans). Driving a cab earned more than waiting tables. He's been here 3 years, doesn't like the place at all, and eager to return home next year. He said that the young girls come to find rich old men. The young men come to peddle drugs to the party crowd. And summed it up best I think, "I don't like this place. It's all plastic and fake."

Well, so much for first impressions. :)

No comments: