Sunday, February 10, 2008

End of Hols MR Run

Today marked the end of a nice long CNY break. We return to the grunt and grind of work routine tomorrow. It was a hot sunny day, and MR beckoned. Between running under the cool canopy of trees and getting baked on the tarmac roads, I chose the former. It helped too that MR was only a 10-min drive from my house.

I reached MR at 540pm and was surprised to find the car park full at what I deemed a late hour. There were many families out on a stroll, with prams and children in tow. There were also some foreign workers out on a date, enjoying the quiet of the park and perhaps too, the end of the long break. Runners/ joggers were about a handful. A quick check on my watch, I should have enough time to complete a loop before it turned dark.

I set off on my usual trail, it was my 3rd time at MR over the CNY period. I was wearing my TNF Amp Boa trail shoes, they were lighter than my other pairs with Goretex XCR. But they were also the same pair that gave me a blister on my sole during my Wednesday MR run. That blister had since been pricked but felt a little inflammed.

There were a couple of leisure runners around, but otherwise, the trail was empty. There was something alluring about running in the quiet trail, having the path all to myself. It was MR-Ultra deja vu, the last lap. I liked the way the leaves rustled noisily in the wind, the sound cascading from far to near, as if bringing a message from afar. Trails were like childhood fun, side stepping over rocks and stones. Perhaps constantly bracing one's core to keep our balance on trail might result in tighter, firmer abs? :)

I had a craving for Island Creamery Horlicks ice cream. I was so lost in my thoughts that I went straight up a path after the fitness station, only to find myself facing Lornie Road. For a moment I was stunned, before realizing where I was. I backtracked to the fitness station and followed the trail out to MR park. A recent RW article wrote that hill runs were great for burning calories, so I thought I should go fast up the last few slopes. 1 pineapple tart down? Haha.

The waters were at high tide at the trail exit. I stopped to do some stretching by the water bank, it was breezy and tranquil. A nice evening run in solitude.

No comments: