Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Swiss Hip Extension

Still sneezing and sniffing in the office. This cold spell had been bugging me for a week. Decided that a RPM Challenge class would be too strenuous on the throat, hard panting and all. Popped by the Safra gym instead.

I did not have a systematic gym/ weights training plan - lazy lah. I usually just worked at whichever body part I felt enthused about that day. So it was the triceps, deltoids, and a couple of upper bod parts with the free weights. Then I tried the hamstring machine. Runners often had muscle imbalance from over-developed quads and weak hamstrings, resulting in many knee joint injuries. (There, sounding like an expert! Merely parroting what running magazines say.) I think I did not adjust the machine position properly, so the first 2 sets felt 'off'. After some fine-tuning, I did another 2 sets.

Last, the gym ball for my usual sets of crunches. I was trying to execute a Elite Abs workout featured recently in Runners World. The magazine photo of Carrie Tollefoson perfectly balanced on the ball, doing Swiss Hip Extension, with her cover-picture-perfect abs, made it look so easy. Until I tried it. It was difficult trying to maintain the bod on the ball and not roll off, while lifting one's leg to mimic the running motion. Maybe I was doing it wrong, because I did not feel my abs being engaged. Hmmm.... Have to experiment more. Maybe on the bigger gym ball for better stability.

Went to collect my borrowed MTB tonight. Its sizing looked good, but I would have to bring it for servicing this week. First time I was transporting a bike in my car. Decent. The entire bike went in without having to remove anything. But there was only space for 1 bike. Oh well.

No comments: