Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Run with New Toy

Ricci shared that one way to train for ultras was to do back-to-back runs, ie. long runs on consecutive days, where the total distance amounted to the ultra distance or more. After yesterday's long run, I had wanted to do a shorter distance this morning. After hearing Ricci's theory and since I was already at Safra, I should try to complete the training and decide on the distance accordingly if I felt tired.

We were doing the 21km Safra-MSP route today. Lai Chee said one section of the Marina Grove loop was closed for construction. The loop was about 1-2km. Off we went, there were relatively fewer runners today. Peter, Wong, Ong, Jaime, Michael, KK, Siew Li, Trevor, Lai Chee, Ricci, and a handful others whom I did not know their names. Many of the other regulars were not there. This was also the weekend of the Langkawi IM that Snr Chua, Sok Hwa, Chin KK and Teacher Lee were participating in.

Today I had a new toy - my pink Nathan Speed 2 hydration belt that I bought in HK. Very cheap, only ~S$27 after discount! I wore the belt with the 2 bottles behind me. Siew Li said it was cute, like a Barbie Doll's toy(!), and that pink was not a colour associated with long endurance runs. Oh gosh... I hoped she did not mean I was like a Barbie Doll, goodness gracious me! Music of "I'm a Barbie Girl, in a Barbie World...." started ringing in my ears. Haha. The belt worked great, snug and no bounce. I did not have any problem pulling out the bottles or stuffing them back. I even hooked my M-frames on the belt without it shifting about. I discovered that an unintended function of the snug belt was to hold in stitches, instead of me having to press my thumbs on the affected parts. How cool!

We started off with Peter and KK slightly ahead of me. My legs felt ok after last night's massage, but still I went slowly. Did not want to risk ITB or something. Maybe I should buy the "red toy" that Anthony, Bev and DO raved so much about. The guys were going quite fast. Then Siew Li came from behind and ran with KK throughout, who held her bottle in addition to his 4 Nathan belt. Ooh how sweet. I followed a short distance behind them, charmed by their adorable little acts. :) I am placing my bet that they would get wedded soon if things went as they are now. More wagers, anyone?

After 7km, my legs did not feel light anymore. Hmmm. I was practising going for as long as possible without Endurance drinks or powergels. I recalled Adrian's comment that the body could adjust eventually if we tried not to be over-reliant on those stuff for ultra runs. The trick was to push back the body's tolerance over repeated runs, and try to tap on some inner source of strength. Easier said than done. I had no inner source of fuel (= strength!). Don't know where I was going to tap whatever from.

The weather was humid today, not much sun from behind the cloud cover, but we were all soon drenched. It was a far cry from the coolness of HK, no way to achieve any PBs in Singapore. I was drinking a lot more water compared to during HK marathon. 1:10h of run. We reached MSP for a refuel (= thirsty gulps from the tap), and proceeded back. Starting to feel that my breakfast sandwich was gone, and tried to prop up with more water. 1:24h, resisted the urge to have my powergel, and sipped more water instead. Ok, about 40min more to go. I can, can, can do this without the powergel.

I passed this middle-aged runner (whose name I did not know) with his son, and then Michael. The guy came for the run with his wife and son. How lovely, something that the whole family could do together. I saw the front runners (Peter, Wendy, KK, Siew Li and Ricci) cross the Kg Bahru junction and turned towards Mt Faber. Were they going up MF? I crossed and continued straight towards HarbourFront & Henderson. Trevor and Lai Chee came in the opposite direction, they had gone up MF and descended from Morse Rd. I stopped at the Shell kiosk before Henderson junction to check out pump prices. Petrol was so expensive nowadays, better plan driving routes carefully. I turned up Henderson slope, oh boy, could not power up. Never mind, stuck to constant shuffling steps. Baby steps to conquer the slope, bit by bit.

Reached Safra, happy that I went without powergel. Covered ~20km, 2:08h. Positively hungry.

No comments: