Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rest Day = Weights & Sashimi

I felt lazy so I went down to Safra gym. Weights session = rest day for me since there's no cardio workout involved. And the amount of weights I use hardly qualifies to be a training session. Where Alber and the guys heave and puff over slabs of weights, I am happy to go with the minimum. Case in point - the Triceps extension machine. I had 2 slabs of dunno-how-much weights vs his 6 chunky slabs. Oh well. Did a couple of shoulders, back and triceps. But was happier to hit the gym-ball for my abs crunches. I made it a point to do a minimum of 60 front and sides each. Then I did a couple of exercises for the lower abs (raise legs vertically towards the ceiling as if pushing something upwards), and 2x 1min sets of the plank. Must have laid off abs for some time since last week's marathon, I could feel myself wobbling on the plank position.

Dinner was the highlight. Had a craving for fresh sashimi over the past days. So I went to my favourite Sakuraya fish-mart-eatery at South Buona Vista-Pasir Panjang Village Centre. The place has expanded its seating area to the shop next door. There were many customers when I reached, but easily got a table. We picked our slabs of fish from the mart and had the chefs slice them. Salmon belly (sake toro), Tuna (maguro), swordfish, squid and octopus. Plus rice and a chuka hotate (some chewy seafood marinated in sesame and sauce). Heavens. Sake Toro that melts in the mouth. I have quit eating normal sake ever since I discovered fish-marts a few years ago. Why settle for expensive, non-textured salmon in the shops when I get an entire slab of belly for much cheaper? The meal ended with a mocha ice-cream picked from the mart's freezer selection. I had wanted black sesame (I spied it at other tables and it looked good), but was out of stock. Green tea version was equally nice too. Milky-creamy enough but not too rich. At $2.40 for a larger-than-haagen-daz-cup, there was enough for two to share comfortably.

No comments: