Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Serendipitous Training

I had to wake up really early to send a relative to the airport this morning, totally sleepy throughout the day. I got to Safra pool early - surprised that the carpark was quite full even before 6pm. Many runners could not get a lot subsequently and had to park around Telok Blangah area. Anyhow, I planned to swim 30-4o laps, had to clock mileage.

Tried to swim, but nose was blocked. Had to stop every lap to breathe. Two lanes were closed for divers and students, and there were a lot of swimmers sharing laps in the remaining lanes. 30min later, it got too crowded and stressful to swim, having to zig zag within the lane to avoid swimmers in the opposite direction. I pretty much gave up after a while, with a grand total of 14 laps. :(

Thought I could switch to a short 10km run, but legs refused to cooperate. I met Jaime and 2 new runners on their way to MF. I thought the training progamme was an OTOT MF loop, but they must have changed it to the 1.6 loops. Totally in no condition to run the loops with them, so I headed off myself. Ended up strolling and strolling, and found my way into the Marang Trail off HarbourFront MRT station. Hmmm, never been on the trail and the sky was darkening, but the it looked short. So I trotted off into Marang Trail and followed the many steps that eventually led to MF hill - the climax of the upslope that we always ran from Kg Bahru. Ahh, so that was where those wooden planks led down to. I am fully orientated now! Slowly winded my way down the Kg Bahru slope and back to club. There was still a long queue of cars outside Safra trying to enter the carpark.

Such a dismal training day. But ok, not too upset over it. Knowing my own limits beats futile pushing and falling sick again. A serendipitous day would be my most optimistic description of today's workout. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serendipity)

No comments: