Sunday, June 28, 2009

KL (Half) Marathon 2009

I managed to get a bib for the inaugural KL marathon for 21km, alas the men's category. Last minute error which could not be recitified, what the heck, just run. Morning of the race, it started raining when I stepped out of the hotel. Would not be nice if my shoes got wet even before the run stared.

Met Simon, then went on to meet Karen & Peter at their hotel. The full marathoners had already gone off at 4am (race flag off 5am). The half marathon flag off was 615am. We walked to the race venue and had 30min to spare. Stretched - I tried out some of the warm-ups that Shem taught us, jumped around and awakened the legs. Whew, tired already. Haha.

The gun sounded and off we went. I was blocked by so many people, it was impossible to open up my stride. There was no km markers for the half-marathon either, so I did not know my exact pace. I just snaked around the crowd, and ran. It was only after the 1st water point around 3km that the runners spaced out and I could go unobstructed. I saw Chantelle at about 6-7km, her style distinctive from behind. I wanted to time-trial for a 21km PB, so I had to 'just go'. The pace felt right, I reached Berjaya Times Square at about 55min. I estimate that was about 10km.

Continuing, there were a couple of slopes along the route. I maintained the pace and went up the slopes. Had to keep reminding myself that we were MF-trained. :) Steadily I went past groups of runners. I did not see many female runners ahead. Hmmm.... And of course the elites were well out of sight! Things went well, my run felt strong and constant.

Then congestion! Argh. the 10, 21, and 42km runners merged about the last 8km or so. Suddenly there was a surge in runners on the road, and 90% walking! The 10kmers were strolling, some even holding hands, oblivious to the fact that others were still running! It was pure energy wasting as I weaved through the crowds. Even the slopes on the roads looked less daunting from afar as they were filled with runners. All I could see ahead was a sea of black hair.

It was demoralizing but I trudged along. Could not stop to walk now, would totally waste all my hard run earlier! Up and down the highways.... Then we heard music and saw the flag at Dataran Merdeka. Time check: 1:45h. End point was nearing! Alas, we had to detour and do another 10min loop before reaching the Finish bay. The road signages were filtering the race categories, but the volunteers were shouting out different instructions. Confusion for a split second.

I finally saw the Finish banner and opened up my strides. 1:55min. A 21km PB! Fabulous! :)

*Official results - 1:54:56h. Yes! So I'm gloating over the 4sec bonus. Cheap thrill. Haha.

2 comments:

*(o_o)* said...

congratulations! i'll go out for a walk to celebrate... :)

kops21 said...

remind me not to run near you next time...:)