Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Telok Blangah Power Hills

Power chiong-sua tonight. No swim before the run. Still in a recovery mode from KL.
5 sets of the (back-to-normal) 1.2km route.

1- 5:24min (thought was non-stop so went slower, happy to discover a rest interval)
2- 4:54min
3- 4:53min
4- 5:01min
5- 5:00min
Rest interval ~4/5min

Think I went upslope too hard and fast, and then lost my form on the down. Literally overtook many people and tried to stick close behind the front pack of runners. Well, not exactly drafting distance behind, but reasonably close by my standard. And of course I got dropped every time once we chiong-ed over the slope. The guys picked up pace, and I slowed down. Even if I tried to maintain a decent pace, I would be overtaken by runners about mid-way through the loop on the down. Either I went up too fast (and died), or I slowed on the down to recover (and still died). Bad idea to try to speed up or open up strides on the down. I knew the theory of descent, but execution was a different issue. The impact on my shins was tremendous. Really went out hard that by the 5th set, I was totally flat out from the power bursts. Jelly-legs, could hardly walk straight after that. Whew....

Incidentally, KL official results are out. 1:54:56h for my 21km. Yes! And I'm gloating over the 4sec bonus (from 1:55h). Friend said I'm such a cheapo. Haha.

No comments: