Saturday, June 20, 2009

MR Reacquaintance

Ran at MR this morning. Finally reacquainted with the trails after a long long break for reason I forgot. Travels and somehow did not manage to get to MR on the weekends. It was just me, the sun, and the sandy crunch crunch crunch of my footsteps. Nice. The first loop felt fresh and strong, so I tried to run a little faster. But there were so many walkers and hikers, and I had to keep calling out to give way. After the first few polite 'excuse me's, I lost patience and must have sounded fierce. What was it with the locals and Asian hikers who like to walk 3-4 abreast, could not decide which way to give you and froze in place? At the risk of sounding stereotypical, it was usually the ang-moh hikers who stayed in a single file on the left, and some stepped aside so that I could pass. ... Well ok, there was a local student-boy who did that too. :)

So I changed tack from 'excuse me' to 'keep left'. And still, there were some who went right despite that.

3 aunties strolling abreast ahead.
Me: Keep left, keep left
2 aunties went left, 1 went right. (???)
Me: Thanks
'Right auntie' to her lefty-friends: Oh you mean that's left! *laughter*
(Me: half-amused-half-not-amused)

Finished 1st loop. 1:01h. Dripping wet, it was so hot, especially the exposed stretch along the golf course. Bought a drink at the cafe to refill my bottle, and saw HH and J there. Ok, on to 2nd loop! *deep breath* Pace was slower in the 2nd loop, the heat was getting to me, and mega thirsty. So then I was wondering how I ever managed 7 loops at the MR-Ultra two years ago? Geez! Today 2 loops dying already.

Had a proper shower at NIE tracks, and rewarded myself with brunch at Riders. I think they still serve one of the meanest egg bennies around! :)

No comments: