Sunday, August 16, 2009

AHM/ SBR 2009

The annual Army Half-marathon, aka Sheares Bridge Run 2009.

Thought I was right on time for the start-line, but apparently it was already flagged off before 530am?! Just followed the walking crowd in the start-pen, and the next thing I knew, was across the timing mat. The run was all over the place, runners everywhere, and my rhythm gone to bits. Drank so much water & 100plus, it was very humid. For the first time ever too, I downed an entire can of 100plus post-run. Did not even drink the icy cold 100plus post-Desaru, and there I was this morning, gulping water like a tank. *shake head* But the supporters and cheers were quite happening this year actually. Bands, stilt-walkers, belly dancers, etc. The roadside atmosphere was an improvement. Felt bad that I could not really clap or thank them.

Alber was sick, so I took his champion chip as well to clock the time. But bombed big time. Oops. Think my split timings were also all wrong. Anyway, I ran without looking at my watch, not even when recording the splits.

2km - 16:01 (?!!?)
4km - 11:54
5km - 5:28
6km - 5:27
8km - 13:16
??? u-turn? - 4:25
5:43
1:35
4:52
11:19
5:10
7:34
5:25
23:47
...... oh whatever, I can't make sense of the splits. Heck.
Total: 2:02h. Bummer....

De-brief with Self:
1. Need to lose weight to run faster
2. It seems impossible to do a sub-2h in Singapore, managed only once in my entire race repertoire
3. Local races losing appeal, boring route, narrow roads, not a most desired experience
4. ..... when I think of more

Crappy race, horrid run. But a decent active recovery as a friend suggested. There, a different perspective to make me feel better. On to greater plans ahead.

No comments: